Established by Compassion in World Farming, the Soil Association and Sustain, and supported by many other organisations, the Alliance to Save Our Antibiotics is campaigning to end the routine use of antibiotics in farmed animals. The overuse of antibiotics in farming increases the rate of emergence of antibiotic resistant bacteria that threaten human and animal health and supports the continuation of farming practices that are inhumane and unsustainable.Antibiotic resistance is increasing at a faster rate than previously realised and, as reported in The Lancet, in 2019, was directly responsible for the deaths of more than one and a quarter million people worldwide and linked with the deaths of nearly five million people. The overuse of antibiotics in humans and farm animals is to blame for this crisis. Worldwide about two thirds of antibiotics are used in livestock.We are therefore looking for a Campaign Assistant to work, with the Campaign Manager, on a range of projects in support of the Alliance to Save Our Antibiotics, including event management, creating briefings and collaborating with contractors. This work will assist in the Alliance’s aims of achieving significant reductions in farm antibiotic use, an end to routine preventative medication of farm animals, ensuring that the UK keeps pace with EU rules in this area and building the case for higher animal health and welfare standards.The successful applicant will develop strong and effective working relationships with campaign, fundraising and media teams at the Alliance’s three founding organisations, and in particular the Steering Group; and work closely with the Alliance’s Scientific Advisor (employed by Soil Association) and all members of the Alliance.Additionally, the postholder will manage briefings and other publications, assist in event managements, manage specific projects to deliver on the Alliance's workstreams and assist with administrative tasks. This exciting post might require the capacity to travel, sometimes internationally and at short notice.Key responsibilities for the Campaign Assistant role include:
- Managing some projects within the Alliance’s workstream, including preparing reports, commissioning opinion polls and communicating with other Alliance members
- Managing briefings and other publications, for online and offline dissemination, including working with external designers and printers to ensure projects remain on schedule and have appropriate content and within budget
- Project and event management, on behalf of the Alliance. The successful candidate will need to develop briefs for events and then put those plans into action, including liaising with external parties (e.g. caterers, speakers, delegates), managing invites and helping to ‘stage manage’ events on the day.
- Develop effective working relationships with all members of the Campaigns Team, Fundraising Team, Food Business Team and our European offices in order to be able to plan, implement and manage this successful campaign.
- Liaise effectively with our Supporter Engagement Team to ensure that we provide an excellent service to our supporters, and with Trustees / Directors and third parties as required.
- Build and maintain good working relationships with other stakeholders.